Monday, November 3, 2008

Political Overload

So I'm basically ready for this election to be over and done with; as well as the stupidity that will follow the election results. No matter who wins this election there will be insanity. If Obama wins there will be a reaction towards his "change", and probably a negative market reaction. If McCain wins - he probably won't win - there will most likely be unrest for a short time. I honestly don't understand why people are as worked up as they are because we are not electing a royal bloodline; just 4 years of a party controlling the executive branch. If Obama loses there will eventually be another African-American president, and if he wins that doesn't mean that white people can't be president anymore. Maybe what we should do is only allow people that are not being represented in this race to vote. In other words, only allow women to vote.

The truth of the matter is that I feel as though people are forgetting that we are electing a party into control with their platform; not just an individual. If it was just the individual then I'd be voting Obama every day of the week and twice on Sunday. I had planned to vote for him until about a week ago. Then I became irritated with all the over coverage of politics and bad analysis of pundits on every channel, and realized that now is the time for me to make a decision. I decided that I'm voting for McCain. I did vote for Hillary in the Primary, and I've been leaning Obama since she lost until a few days ago. Even if she had won, however, I'd still have to be voting McCain. Unfortunately, I can't join in on the excitement and change as much as I'd like to because we live on earth - reality.

I don't care that McCain is older because ideals/virtues have no age; they don't die. I don't care that Obama is smarter than McCain and a better politician/campaigner because my beliefs and ideology have not changed and don't rely on those things. No matter how much I like Barack; his stances on important policies are contrary to mine.

If I vote for Obama then that works against all the progress made on my policy preferences from me voting the opposing way in previous and future elections. An example of this is abortion. I'm pro-life, and Bush made partial birth abortion illegal. Obama would most likely bring it back. So my voting for him would work against my stance here. Again I love the guy, but how can anyone be for partial birth abortion. I mean honestly you partially birth a baby then abort it. Why would or could that ever be legal? This issue for me is the most important.

Next, would be the war on terror. I don't care who our allies want as our leader - Obama. I care who our enemies don't want, and that would clearly have to be McCain. Think about Bush for a minute. He just started a couple of wars pretty quickly; McCain could do the same thing. Our enemies are probably more scared of that than a President who would wait to get support from every country, unions, every country's official, every official's brother, sister, etc. before acting.

Thirdly, there is the economy. The global market is controlling economics not the President of the US, Bush doesn't, Clinton didn't, McCain won't, and Obama won't either. So I'm making sure that I am able to feed myself and not count on the government. There are people starving to death internationally. You don't think that those individuals are looking at their governments for help? Have a brain and use it people because I don't want to see people starving to death in America.

Finally, I wish that race was not an issue in this race because I would like to see us have an African-American leader sooner rather then later. I wish that McCain was an African-American so that race wouldn't matter. Unfortunately, he isn't and I'm starting to think that it hurts our country that we have to vote for candidates that are people rather than political parties, or policies themselves. Here's an idea why don't we just vote for a party, and have the party pick the candidate rather then the reverse. No, that can't happen because it's a good idea like the FairTax.

If Obama does win I will not act rash or be upset because that is the wish of the electorate. I just hope that everyone else feels the same; regardless of who wins. They probably won't though; so everyone stock food.

Now let's look quickly at potential results for Congress in the election. There is the question of whether or not the Democrats will get a super majority. Let's assume Obama wins the election tomorrow. I don't know why anyone would want the Democrats to have a super majority in Congress and hold the office of the presidency. Divided government works a million times better then one party control. An example of a problem with one party control would be maybe 2002-2006. It didn't work to well then and it wasn't just because they were Republicans, and somehow the Democrats will do a better job. I mean honestly do you really think the Democrats will spend less? Or that the economy will do better? Or that the military will be stronger? Some Democrats are probably convinced, but don't you think that the Republicans were too before 2002.

1 comment:

Joel Mendelson said...

It's all over now and we can hopefully relax for a few hours and begin to dissect what President-elect Obama is going to have to do when he takes office in January. There is so much work to be done, I hope we can all put aside our differences to give our new President a chance.