Tuesday, September 30, 2008

Do Good Leaders Have To Know Everything?

Recently Sarah Palin has been getting a bad rap from her latest interviews. One was with Katie Couric and the other with Charlie Gibson. Both interviews were not very flattering on Sarah Palin's intellectual image. Speaking bluntly, she came off as an idiot that doesn't know anything. The media has had a field day with her. But is she an idiot? I don't think so.

After thinking for a moment about whether or not it really matters that Governor Palin doesn't know what the Bush doctrine is I decided that I couldn't care less. There are only three characteristics that I'm concerned about when it comes to a potential President/Vice President: honesty, character, and good judgment. This doesn't just go for Palin. I don't want a stupid leader, but I also don't need Einstein-there was only one of him. (Side note, I think she should have just said I don't know what the Bush Doctrine is; rather than try to pretend she knew, which I thought was a hilariously embarrassing attempt that made her look worse.)

I mean honestly; should we have a series of tests that candidates have to pass to make sure they are eligible to lead? The test could include: a geography test, spelling and pronunciation of world leaders names, an explanation of the transformation of glucose in photosynthesis, and a presidential fitness test too. Are people going to die if the President can't spell all the cities in China correctly? Can't someone just tell Palin what the Bush doctrine is, and then have her make an assessment? I'm a little confused here? I wonder if our past Presidents would have been able to pass one of these hypothetical tests. I'm guessing they would have laughed at the idea of needing to know certain information before going into office.

I think the same reasons that conservatives liked Palin in the beginning are still relevant now. She is still the same woman she was before. If you think that she wouldn't have good judgment that is a separate and legitimate discussion. Also, realize that this goes both ways. I don't care if Barrack Obama knows C++ or Java, or McCain can use a computer, or if Joe Biden knows the main principles of Physics.

Round 1 went to Palin-this round was when the media was all over Bristol's pregnancy/and also combined with when the Gov. first was announced as the VP pick. The 2nd round goes to the media-the interviews that Sarah Palin should not have done and the negative media coverage that ensued. The 3rd round will be pretty important in my estimation for the campaign. The third round will be the upcoming VP debate with Senator Joe Biden. I'm not sure Gov. Pales-my nickname for her-will get a 4th.

5 comments:

The Most trusted name in fake News said...

What qualifies Nancy Pelosi to be speaker of the house? she voted her opinion for a few years and a lot of Democrates like her. What qualifies Ted Kennedy to be a senator aside from the fact that he's a Kennedy?

In fact, what qualifies katie to be a reporter, anyone can ask a question and read a teleprompter. what qualifies anyone to do anything?

Leonard Pagano III said...

Well said. I couldn't agree with you more.

Noah said...

I definitely agree with that. We put far too much emphasis on things that matter way too little. We should focus on character instead of race, sex, or whether or not a candidate can use a computer.

Schmidt said...

I think your analysis is spot on Pagano. After watching the VP Debate it is clear that Sarah Palin is sharp and has a sense of what she is doing. This seems to clear up some of the unease about Palin and her non answers in some of her interviews (Couric,Gibson). Although we now know she does read some specific magazines and papers from an interview with Carl Cameron.

David Stout said...

I agree that the Gibson question was absurd. However, as much as I would like to agree (to a large degree I do) intelligence and critical thinking skills are important. If you would research the talks between Gorbachev and Reagan this situation highlights the importance of intellectual prowess on the international stage. I agree that honesty, character, and good judgement should be equivalent to political skills. The argument is used frequently that Clinton was a good President and that his personal life is separate from his presidency. Look people, good judgement doesn't take vacations and character is not applicable only when an individual desires. These are life choices that are undeniable and very desireable.